The purpose and mission of the Maritime Heritage Alliance is to
- preserve, share, and interpret the maritime heritage of the Great Lakes;
- conduct educational activities designed to instill appreciation of maritime heritage;
- be an established interpretive center that teaches maritime history and preserves traditional maritime skills;
- restore and construct replicas representative of indigenous boats;
- seek and develop sources of maritime skills and create opportunities to revive and perpetuate them;
- develop alliances with similar organizations in the region for the purpose of education;
- receive and administer funds and to operate exclusively to promote maritime heritage skills and education.
The Maritime Heritage Alliance shall engage in charitable, scientific, literary, social or education activities within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or comparable provisions and amendments, or subsequent legislation of the Code as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine.
The Maritime Heritage Alliance shall acquire, own, dispose of, and manage real and personal property and interests therein and apply gifts, grants, bequests and devises, and the proceeds thereof in furtherance of the purposes of the corporation.
(Source: By-laws of the Maritime Heritage Alliance | Rev. 05/07/2011)